I noticed that I have similar queries that work as expected. The difference
appears to be that every query that is broken uses " WITH ROLLUP", and removing
this makes them behave as expected.

Is this a known bug? Should I submit it as such?

If someone would be so kind as to point me to the bug system, I'll crawl around
in there to see if it's a known problem.
<<<<<<<<
There is a bug that I about a half year ago reported,
http://bugs.mysql.com/bug.php?id=68564, that the NULL one expects with "WITH
ROLLUP" is not always NULL, but is instead the foregoing string in the same
field. I suspect that other bugs with missing NULL found by searching for
ROLLUP are the same problem. (note link titled "Affects Me"!)

Another, one year ago reported, bug of mine was handled in 5.7.2, but this one
not.