I want to know the reason, in my opinion, to scan the smaller index data has
better performance than to scan the whole table data.

zhigang

  _____

From: Mathieu Desharnais [mailto:mdesharn...@diffusion.cc]
Sent: Wednesday, February 12, 2014 9:41 AM
To: Zhigang Zhang; mysql@lists.mysql.com
Subject: Re: LIKE sql optimization

Sql database doesn't use index in like statement if it starts with % ..

like 'abcd%' would work though...

To use an index you can store your value using reverse function and index it
.. then your like would use the index.

For example:

Select * from T where col like ‘%abcd’;

The table T is myisam table and we created a index on col.

As we known, this like sql does not use the index created on col, it confuse
me, why?

I think in mysiam engine, the index data is smaller, it can use index link
list to optimize it so as to reduce the disk scan than to the whole table
scan.

Thanks.

Zhigang