Thank you very much!

Zhigang

-----Original Message-----
From: Morgan Tocker [mailto:morgan.toc...@oracle.com]
Sent: Wednesday, February 12, 2014 10:16 AM
To: Zhigang Zhang
Cc: mysql@lists.mysql.com
Subject: Re: LIKE sql optimization

Hi Zhigang,

On Feb 11, 2014, at 8:48 PM, Zhigang Zhang <zzgang2...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I want to know the reason, in my opinion, to scan the smaller index data
has

> better performance than to scan the whole table data.

I think I understand the question - you are asking why MySQL will not index
scan, find matching records, and then look them up rather than table scan?

I believe the answer is that there is no way of knowing if 1 row matches, or
all rows match.  In the worst case (where all rows match), it is much more
expensive to traverse between index and data rows for-each-record.

So a table scan is a “safe choice" / has less variance.=