Hi Tim,

Given the title of the book is "Head First SQL" and not "Head First MySQL" it
probably isn't exclusively using syntax for MySQL. While SQL is a standard the
various SQL databases are not completely identical with the syntax they
support. This may be due to not completely conforming to the standard, using
different versions of the SQL standard, or that there is not standard for that
operation.

Best regards,
Jesper Krogh
MySQL Support