> Given the title of the book is "Head First SQL" and not "Head First MySQL"
> it probably isn't exclusively using syntax for MySQL. While SQL is a
> standard the various SQL databases are not completely identical with the
> syntax they support. This may be due to not completely conforming to the
> standard, using different versions of the SQL standard, or that there is
> not standard for that operation.

Hey, that's some good input. Thanks and makes total sense. I guess the
reason I thought I could use that syntax is that the book uses MySQL for
all it's examples and explains that it does so because MySQL is a free and
open source version of SQL that's easy to install. But maybe you're right
and they do depart into other syntaxes of SQL. I just don't know where they
got that 'first, second, third, etc' version of the alter table syntax
from. Definitely not sweatin' this detail tho, I am totally fine with what
you showed me that works.

Thanks again for your input!
Tim

--