Hello Geetanjali,

On 9/23/2014 7:14 AM, geetanjali mehra wrote:
Can anybody please mention the internals that works when we use mysqldump
as follows:

*mysqldump --single-transaction --all-databases > backup_sunday_1_PM.sql*

MySQL manual says:

This backup operation acquires a global read lock on all tables at the
beginning of the dump (using *FLUSH TABLES WITH READ LOCK
<http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.6/en/flush.html>*). As soon as this lock
has been acquired, the binary log coordinates are read and the lock is
released. If long updating statements are running when the FLUSH
<http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.6/en/flush.html> statement is issued,
the backup operation may stall until those statements finish. After that,
the dump becomes lock-free and does not disturb reads and writes on the
tables.

Can anyone explain it more? Please.

Which part would you like to address first?

I have a feeling it's more about how FLUSH TABLES WITH READ LOCK works but I want to be certain before answering.

Yours,
--
Shawn Green
Office: Blountville, TN