----- Original Message -----
> From: "Trianon 33" <triano...@gmail.com>
> Subject: Need a short directive
>
> Values from yearanddate look like this: 2013-12-11 00:00:00. I want to

That's only a display format; internally it's an integer (well, presumably a
struct time_t) counting the seconds since epoch. Not especially relevant except
to say that, since it's only an output format, it can easily be changed.

> copy the 2013 and put that into the yearfield, for each record.
>
> Can that be done by just using SQL statements?

I believe the year() function is pretty much what you're looking for; complexer
things can be handled through date_format().

Something along the lines of

 UPDATE table
   SET year = year(yearanddate);

should do nicely; I'm sure you can fix up a where clause as appropriate.