I was not suggesting it for dates. The OP appeared to have a well-defined set
of strings in a VARCHAR field — THAT is what I suggested ENUMs for!

What is the update frequency of those VARCHARs? If you're adding them often —
or if you need to occasionally change their value — I'd use another table with
a reference.

If they're immutable and new ones are not added often, there's no "design cost"
at all to using ENUMs. I'd argue there's a higher maintenance cost to NOT using
them!
<<<<<<<<
Ugh--I missed the discussion shift from the DATEs to the VARCHAR labels ... and
now I wholeheartedly agree with you.

As for the DATEs, I yet suspect that for performance maybe TIMESTAMP is
slightly better than DATE.