Hi Grant,

On 12/26/2014 11:18 AM, Grant Peel wrote:
Reindl,

I am sorry, in my original post, I forgot to mention that the OLD box and
the NEW box are the same physical machine. I need to be able to save all
data into files on a memstick or portable disc and restore them to the newly
staged machine (with the new version of mysql).

-Grant

There are a few file-level storage changes between 5.x (where x < 6) and 5.6 that you may need to resolve before the upgrade. Examples:

* 5.6 will not read any tables that were physically created in a version older than 5.0 and never rebuilt using a newer version.

* the YEAR(2) data type is no longer supported.

* pre 4.1 passwords - If you are upgrading from version 5.1 or older, you will need to update their hashes or configure 5.6 to recognize the older hashes as valid. The user authentication system in 5.6 is more advanced than in earlier versions.

Several features are removed as of 5.6
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.6/en/mysql-nutshell.html#mysql-nutshell-removals

Many defaults were changed starting with 5.6. These and other things to consider before a move to 5.6 (like the SQL Mode and timestamp behaviors) are all listed here:
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.6/en/upgrading-from-previous-series.html

mysql_upgrade will update the system tables in the `mysql` database and run a CHECK TABLE ... FOR UPGRADE on all your tables but it cannot handle all of the possible upgrade issues you may encounter due to the other things about the server that may have changed.

Reindl's technique with the rsync is just like what you are doing with your full-image save/restore. His is just optimized for operating between two live machines.

You are also very strongly encouraged to test the upgrade to 5.6 on a lab box long before you push it into production. This will give you the chance to find any of those new 5.6 changes that your clients may not be ready to handle.

Yours,
--
Shawn Green
Office: Blountville, TN