Shawn & all,

     Thank you for taking to time to reply.

     So, to be clear, what I understand from your post is that replacing the
new build's grant/system tables with the archived ones from the previous
version, generally works fine, upgrade issues not withstanding. This is the
answer I was hoping for.

     FWIW, I have already tested using some sample databases from the old
version to the new one. Also, I'm not sure I mentioned, but I am moving from
5.1.39 to 5.6.17. I have already ran into the password hash issues on a
number of tables, but, other than that things seem fine.

     Any other comments are welcome.

-G