There are several weird hybrid ways of installing MySQL on Mac (the native
install as provided by Apple, tar or dmg from Oracle, Darwin Ports, brew
and Fink, if the latter is still around) all of which are utterly mutually
incompatible.  But once it is up, it's behaviour is the same as a typical
unix install, once you have guessed where the files went.