Am 08.03.2015 um 13:20 schrieb Thufir:
On Sun, 08 Mar 2015 10:47:17 +0100, Reindl Harald wrote:

oh my god............... https://www.google.at/search?q=ssh+tunnel

hmm, are you thinking that I'm not using ssh?  Because I'm using ssh
currently, and it works fine.

no, i am thinking you have no clue what a SSH tunnel nor a TCP connection are, otherwise this thread won't exist

How is ssh -L 3305:localhost:3306 thufir@192.168.1.3  any better or more
useful than ssh thufir@192.168.1.3 ?

boah the one is a ordinary SSH shell and the other is having the remote mysqld server listening on localhost

The process described here:

http://quintagroup.com/services/support/tutorials/mysql-linux

doesn't seem demonstratively better, or even different, than just using
ssh to login, and then logging into MySQL.  However, I've seen that
approach mentioned quite a bit.

What's the advantage?

that you can have a local application using mysql by -h 127.0.0.1 which is a complete different thing than a interactive shell?