On 29/02/16 15:42, Gary Smith wrote:
On 29/02/2016 15:30, lejeczek wrote:
On 28/02/16 20:50, lejeczek wrote:
fellow users, hopefully you experts too, could help...

...me to understand how, and what should be the best practice to dump database, then drop it and merge the dumps.. What I'd like to do is something probably many have done and I wonder how it's done best. A box will be dumping a database (maybe? tables if it's better) then dropping (purging the data) it and on a different system that dump swill be inserted/aggregated into the same database. It reminds me a kind of incremental backup except for the fact that source data will be dropped/purged on regular basis, but before a drop, a dump which later will be used to sort of reconstruct that same database.

How do you recommend to do it? I'm guessing trickiest bit might this reconstruction part, how to merge dumps safely, naturally while maintaining consistency & integrity? Actual syntax, as usually any code examples are, would be best.

many thanks.

I guess dropping a tables is not really what I should even consider - should I just be deleting everything from tables in order to remove data? And if I was to use dumps of such a database (where data was first cleansed then some data was collected) to merge data again would it work and merge that newly collected data with what's already in the database
This sounds like a remarkably reliable way to ensure no data integrity. What exactly are you trying to achieve? Would replication be the magic word you're after?

I realize this all might look rather like a bird fiddling with a worm instead of lion going for quick kill. I replicate wherever I need and can, here a have very little control over one end. On that end with little control there is one simple database, which data I'll need to be removed on regular basis, before removing I'll be dumping and I need to use those dumps to add, merge, aggregate data to a database on the other end, like:
today both databases are mirrored/identical
tonight awkward end will dump then remove all the data, then collect some and again, dump then remove and these dumps should reconstruct the database on the other box.

Pointers on what to pay the attention to, how to test for consistency & integrity, would be of great help.

Gary