----- Am 1. Apr 2016 um 17:52 schrieb shawn l.green shawn.l.gr...@oracle.com:

>> What is true ? when the transaction started or when the first read is
>> performed ?

> Until you need to establish a snapshot of the data, then you don't need
> a snapshot position.
>
> The transaction physically begins (rows begin to be protected against
> changes by other transactions) with the first read.

OK. But only when the first read is in a transaction and isolation level
is REPEATABLE READ the query is "snapshotted" for further queries, so
seeing the same result ?
When several SELECT are issued not inside a transaction they always get
the current data ?

> Consider the alternative: If we started protecting data with the START
> TRANSACTION command we would need to protect every row in every table in
> every database.  That is simply not efficient.

YES.

> We protect the pages that contain the rows that are physically required
> by the individual transaction. This is a much smaller locking footprint
> and is much easier to manage.

Bernd

Helmholtz Zentrum Muenchen
Deutsches Forschungszentrum fuer Gesundheit und Umwelt (GmbH)
Ingolstaedter Landstr. 1
85764 Neuherberg
www.helmholtz-muenchen.de
Aufsichtsratsvorsitzende: MinDir'in Baerbel Brumme-Bothe
Geschaeftsfuehrer: Prof. Dr. Guenther Wess, Dr. Alfons Enhsen, Renate Schlusen
(komm.)
Registergericht: Amtsgericht Muenchen HRB 6466
USt-IdNr: DE 129521671