Dear Mr. Green,

After struggling for several hours with installing an alternate installation of
MySQL, I’ve concluded that this may be beyond my feeble powers but also that
the official instructions are not very good. They are written for system
administrators who are doing work of this kind all the time. I’m a scholar who
has a reasonably firm command of SQL code but doesn’t work much at the command
line. So you could say “tough luck” or you could try to be a little more
explicit in the official instructions.

I work with a Mac, and as far as I can tell there isn’t much love lost between
Apple and Oracle. And proper Linux users may think of Mac users as wimps. Which
they may be. But they still want to use relational databases.

It’s clear from Section 6.6 of the Reference manual that I need to make sure
that the new installation differs from the old one with regard to the data
directory, the port number, the socket, the shared memory-base-name, and the
pid-file.

It’s less clear to me where to change these setting. In the .dmg version of a
Mac version, you can’t make any choices. I don’t know whether it’s a bug or a
feature, but the button for customizing an installation doesn’t work.

So the other option is the .tar file. There are a lot of files in that
directory, but no file that draws attention to itself as the file where you
make these changes.

Some of the instructions are obscure to folks like me. What is a good port
number? Will anything do, or is there a list somewhere? What do I call an
alternate pid file?

In documentation that would be friendlier, there might be a side-by side
scenario, showing the values for the first installation, and possible alternate
values for a second installation. And it would help to remind the user, who is
not a systems administrator dealing with this stuff every day, where you find
the relevant configuration files. It’s an odd feature of MySQL that it doesn’t
seem to have an initial configuration file in the tar version of the program.
So the question where to go in the first place is not obvious.

Having failed to get it right, I tried a MySQL sandbox program that promised to
do all this without trouble. Alas, it didn’t work on the Mac at all.

Perhaps I should use SQLite, where you don’t have to worry about any of this
stuff. On the other hand , MySQL has very  elegant and logically organized
functions, and it’s a joy to work with once you have it actually installed an
running.

I’ll be grateful for any help.

Martin Mueller
Professor emeritus of English and Classics
Northwestern University

On 4/21/16, 5:42 PM, "shawn l.green" <shawn.l.gr...@oracle.com> wrote:

On 4/20/2016 2:04 PM, Martin Mueller wrote:

> I am running MySQL 5.6.22 on an iMac as a desktop database. I would like to
> install 5.7.12. Can I install it as a parallel and independent  instance? And
> if so, are there special problems to watch out for?
>

> Why would I want to do this? Well, I have a set of databases and tables on
> the old installations that have grown over the years. Given the way I work,
> the simplest thing would be install the new database and then work through my
> existing tables over a number of weeks and transfer stuff as I go along.
> That may not be very professional but it works for me, and it would let me
> keep the old along the new, just in case something goes wrong/
>
> My friends tell me to use sqlite, and they are probably right since file
> management is so much simpler. But I find the many builtin functions of MySQL
> very helpful and don't particularly want to learn a new set.
>
> Martin Mueller

Many systems have more than one mysqld running on them at the same time.
To make them operate safely, you have to isolate them from each other
using the guidance in this section of the manual:

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.7/en/multiple-servers.html

--
Shawn Green
Oracle USA, Inc. - Integrated Cloud Applications & Platform Services

Become certified in MySQL! Visit https://www.mysql.com/certification/
for details.