My ISP recently updated one of their servers to 3.23.38, and all of a sudden
a BUNCH of my code stopped working.   I use a number of insert queries (new
items, new search caches, etc), where I insert a blank record, and then take
notes of its id (usually "int unsigned auto_increment primary key"), to be
used in a subsequent UPDATE statement (or INSERT, to a related table).

Most of my (Perl) code uses $sh->{insertid}, which errors out in 3.23 and
tells me to replace it with $sh->{mysql_insertid}.  So I wrote my code to
autodetect the version (since $sh->{mysql_insertid} doesn't work in 3.22,
which is still installed on most of their servers, where most of our clients
are set up).  Anyway, it doesn't work.  All of the 3.22 sites still work
great, but when I move the same code to 3.23 (with the minor change noted
before), I get all kinds of errors because $sh->{mysql_insertid} seems to
return a null value (or maybe a nullstring), which breaks INSERT statements
(and makes UPDATE statements stop working).

Does anyone know anything about this?

Thanks,

Chris