> Two things you might want to try... first download and install the newest
> Msql-Mysql DBD drivers.. check what the documentation says in there.. and
> second, keep changing what variable you are trying to access and maybe you
> will find one works that isnt documented.

My problem with this is that I have no control over the versioning.  I'm
using an ISP who was gracious enough to upgrade one of the servers (hosting
our largest clients) to 3.23 because it was having a BUNCH of other
problems.

So if the {mysql_insertid} thing is an issue, is there a fix?  Does the
latest DBD/DBI package fix it?  Or is it strictly a MySQL issue and just
needs to wait for a new release?

As it is, it seems that:

my ($id) = $dbh->selectrow_array("SELECT MAX(id) FROM tbl;");

is really my only option.  And to just hope that two things won't get
inserted at the same time...

-Chris