Am 19.05.2017 um 18:42 schrieb Matthew Black:
Sorry, but that is not the least bit helpful. We are not ready for RHEL 7,
which is VERY different than prior versions. I don't really need the victim
blaming for using an earlier RHEL release that is still fully supported and in
widespread use.

your problem - we are using Fedora in production since 2008 and systemd was introduced that i even can't remember the sysvinit mess...

As for /etc/my.cnf, that's where one defines the port, database location, log
file, port number, and user, so they don't have to be placed on the command
line.

and how do you imagine hat to work for *multiple instances*

Your response does not explain the command line steps necessary for creating a
new database.

becasue creating a database is absolutely basic stuff at all and if you mean the mysql database with users itself - well, i hvanet created one from scratch since 2003 because they are portable between windows/linux/osx and i just rsync the folder or a baisc install and that's it

-----Original Message-----
From: Reindl Harald [mailto:h.rei...@thelounge.net]
Sent: Friday, May 19, 2017 9:27 AM
To: mysql@lists.mysql.com
Subject: Re: mysqld_multi

Am 19.05.2017 um 18:19 schrieb Matthew Black:
I just installed MySQL Enterprise Edition 5.7 on RHEL 6.8 to replace an aging
5.1 system running on RHEL 5. We run mysqld_multi with multiple instances, each
database on its own TCP Port 33xx. I'm having trouble creating a database on
the new server in a multi environment.

Can anyone provide a simple example of how to edit /etc/my.cnf file and command
line steps necessary for creating a new database running on, for example, port
3311?

what has this to do with the my.cnf?
just connect to the correct instance and that's it

and probably get rid of RHEL6 because with systemd you don't need all
the crap around to start multiple instances, just a few lines in the
unit-file pointing to the correct config and mysqld_safe is also no needed

[harry@srv-rhsoft:~]$ mysql --help | grep port
    -P, --port=#        Port number to use for connection or 0 for
default to, in
    --progress-reports  Get progress reports for long running commands (like
                        (Defaults to on; use --skip-progress-reports to
disable.)