I DON'T RUN SYSTEMD, so that's not an option. At all. Why is that so hard to
grasp?

Where do I enter the command "create table database" when mysqld isn't running?
It isn't possible to launch mysqld when there's no database directory or
initialized database.

You fail to grasp my problem and your answers are completely unhelpful. I did
not ask for "help" commands or links to the 5200-page reference manual, as
those did not supply the options required to solve MY PROBLEM. This is a
community forum where members are free to post questions. Several people
pointed me toward the right direction but their answers were incomplete. It was
ultimately Oracle support that answered my question, for which I am most
appreciative.

> they don't behave anything different if you have a single server

Really? With mysqld_multi, each mysqld daemon listens on a separate port. Each
database instance gets its own environment that database administrators control
WITHOUT INTERFERING with other database instances. In single-server
environment, the server listens only on port 3306 and all databases run on that
one port; it is not possible to shutdown individual databases, only ALL
databases.

matthew