MAX() Query

Hello,

I'm trying to write 2 queries, the first to find the most recent club a
player has played for, and then the previous club they played for.

To find the most recent club i use this :
substring(max(concat(STARTDATE,TEAM)),11,100) as TEAM

which concats a players start date to the Team name, finds the Max and then
strips off the date (possibly a better way but i'm not sure).

I was wondering if its possible to do a MAX -1 or something, and if so,
where to put it in the above example.

Any suggestions most welcome

Ben.