BAUMEISTER Alexandre wrote:

> Bonjour Justin,
>
> JF> I don't know why I got interested in this thread...
>
>   More important (or less), why are you so negative ?

Je ne suis pas contre.  I just haven't felt the need for
this, but after reading your scenario, I can't understand
why.  Email obscures a lot of preconceptions of the writer.

>   Hope this is more clear to you now.

And, it is.  I can see the utility of this functionality
if I was tracing a suspect that was trying to get, as
an example, credit card numbers out of our database
BY NOT GOING THROUGH OUR CLIENTS.

However, it would not help at all if the attacker was
sophisticated, because he ain't gonna write in any
comments.  Without thinking too much, I can see the
utility of knowing which of YOUR ten servers was going
bonkers, from which of, say, YOUR 250 web sites using
the ten MySQL servers.

If I had felt this need, I probably would have just added
another field to the schema of a "sensitive" table, and
had my apps write in a comment, like, for a shopping cart,
"The guy using this credit card has IP so-and-so, and his
user agent is so-and-so and the DNS resolves to 12345.nasty.net."
I just would not have thought about your idea.

Et alors, bonne chance with this request....

_jef

--
Justin Farnsworth
Eye Integrated Communications