Hi,

I'm using MySQL 3.23.39 under Red Hat 7.1 on a Pentium III 600mhz with
640MB of Ram.  I only 1 table in a database with 5.6 million records and
I'm currently trying to index a varchar(100) field.  I started the query
"alter table mytable add index myfield (myfield)" at 10am EST this morning
and 5:45 hours later its still running.  If I look in my mysql/var
directory I have the following.

-rw-rw----    1 root     root         8888 Jul  5 09:44 mytable.frm
-rw-rw----    1 root     root     689493112 Jul  5 09:58 mytable.MYD
-rw-rw----    1 root     root     114336768 Jul  5 09:58 mytable.MYI
-rw-rw----    1 root     root         8888 Jul  5 09:59 #sql-312_9.frm
-rw-rw----    1 root     root     616317108 Jul  5 11:21 #sql-312_9.MYD
-rw-rw----    1 root     root     136826880 Jul  5 14:30 #sql-312_9.MYI

The very last file #sql-312_9.MYI has been growing at a rate of about
40-50MB/hour.

Is there any way for me to tell how much longer this will go on?  I did a
couple of indexes on two other fields in this table the day
before yesterday but I issued the commands and walked away from the
computer.  It was a rough day so i don't remember how long it took.  The
other two fields are varchar(5) and varchar(10) and I know for a fact that
it didn't take more then 24 hours, and I'm pretty sure it was less than 6
hours.

Thanks,
Roger Ramirez