This is how I did it on http://kuehnle.de

I don't rely on browser information, though. I let users make
their choice.

I didn't try to find a single solution for all purposes. Instead,
I have a general translation table 'strings' for words or sentences
that normally would appear in my code and then other tables with
specialized content, i.e. a table for the menu structure, another
for the short description for the carriages with a varchar field,
then one with the long description for the same article, this
time a text field etc.

If we chose to add another language, I would have to add a new
column to all these tables, which is not that much of an effort.
This could have been constructed better, using a key field with
the language code instead of separate columns.

The translations can be handled by home working people using
their browser. I have a table 'workLog' which logs their
activity. They have to be identified, using a simple password
dialog. I store the info in a cookie, so they don't have to
bother more than once.

They get a simple form on screen with the text to be translated
and their input in their respective language. We didn't have
trouble yet, but if the context of the text was needed, I could
provide that, too.

The code makes sure that there is a fallback mode. If the user
chooses French and there is no Franch translation yet, the code
will look for English. If there is no English, it will take
German.

I made a CMS system for another customer, where everything is
steered by the menu table. He has plans for the full fledged
menu, but only few are ready. The menu is stored in the menu
table.

The moment he adds (German) content to that menu item, it will
appear for the surfer in German, no matter what language they
chose. His translators can add the translations likewise later.

--
Herzlich
Werner Stuerenburg

ISIS Verlag, Teut 3, D-32683 Barntrup-Alverdissen
Tel 0(049) 5224-997 407 · Fax 0(049) 5224-997 409
http://pferdezeitung.de