What you described is the strategy to design good tables, called
normalizing. You will find good articles on that subject and even
whole books. There are several rules, but most only apply the
first. The others are for the real masters or the real tough data
models or performance questions.

Sie schrieben am Mittwoch, 11. Juli 2001, 00:32:30:

> Hi right now I am just developeing a complex listing for 500+
> applications over 20 tables per catigory, that is going to be hosted on
> my site. besides having the normal info such as: size, file name, datep
> ublished, staff comments, program rateing I wanted to include user
> opinions of it too.

> My first quick thought was to continue adding fields in the table for
> the user opinion but then I realized what a massivly bad thing to
> search through 5-10 fields of about 50-300 charecters for all of the
> 500+ programs ouch.

> Then it occured to me just to make 20 new sepret table just for
> comments for all 20 catigorys. then when the user posted a comment, it
> would just be put into the comment table listed by the unique id given
> each application so all I would have to search for is the id and get
> all the comments.

> I was just woundering if there was a better way to do it then the
> thought I have above?

Herzlich
Werner Stuerenburg

ISIS Verlag, Teut 3, D-32683 Barntrup-Alverdissen
Tel 0(049) 5224-997 407 · Fax 0(049) 5224-997 409
http://pferdezeitung.de