At 05:48 PM 07/10/2001 , you wrote:
>Joe,
>
>Are you assigning your database variables within the config.php file or
>directly
>into the mysql_connet(...);
>
>config.php:
>// database parameters
>// alter this as per your configuration
>$database="database_name";
>$user = "username";
>$pass = "password";
>$hostname = "localhost";

Thanks a MILLION!!

That's the part I missed, the config.php. So that's what that file is for,
and that's why the page displayed when I didn't fool around with the
mysql_connect statement in job_list.php.

Tutorials are great, but, sometimes they miss the finer points (or I can't
read TF#@$#%$#)

I know this wasn't a strictly MySQL question, but, for web hosting MySQL is
kind'a useless without some kind of web interface, and there are a lot of
Perl coding questions on this list.

And thanks to Aaron, however, the server and MySQL logs didn't yield a
clue--it's the config.php which apparently gets read first--if there is
one, I guess??

Now one last question, the password is encrypted thru the GRANT statement
in the MySQL database, does it need to be enclosed between double
apostrophes inside the double quotes? I imagine, I'd eventually figure that
out after some more trial and error--but hey, if you don't mind???

Joe