Hi all,

A week ago or so, someone on this list had a problem with inserting data.

I thought the reason was because they had mixed up the INSERT and UPDATE
statements.
ie.  INSERT INTO table_name SET column1=a_value, column2=a_value, ...

However, they said this statement works from the MySQL prompt.  I have just
found time to try this syntax today and I was amazed to find that it does
work in MySQL though it didn't work for Access.

In all the years I have worked/studied SQL, not once have I come across the
INSERT INTO ... SET ... syntax.
My questions are:

1. Is this a valid statement?
2. Is it ANSI standard?
3. Is this a MySQL feature / bug or do other DBs support this?
4. If it is valid, where is it documented?  All the SQL books that I've ever
come across, do not contain such a syntax.