Jeremy Zawodny wrote:

[== snip, snip ==]

Jeremy:

You should be complimented for giving us a measured and
rational posting on this potentially emotional issue.
And also, it is good that Britt has clearly stated his
understanding, though perhaps a bit too late to have
prevented one of those common socialogical phenomena,
the perception that sombody or a Company is somehow
exploiting Open Source with its train of reactions:

-  NuSphere is a dirty bunch of guys
-  Monty is being screwed
-  et cetera ad infinitum

Personally, I could care less about the mysql.org
domain issue.  I, more or less, see it just as another
kind of ex-officio site supporting some Open Source
effort.  I cannot see why it would lead to confusion
as to who is "leading" the MySQL development, as the
information presented on the site makes everything
very clear.  But, somehow, possession of this domain
is important to both of the "disputing" parties for
reasons only known best to them.  I think in the
long run, to the community, the more sites/domains
dedicated to the promotion of MySQL, the better.

As for NuSphere being perceived as violating the GPL,
it appears that they have just not handled it very
well in their, er, "PR", as, if the NuSphere exposed
position is taken on face value, namely they have
submitted their changes, but the community has
not been really made "aware" of this because of the
complex relationship between NuSphere/MySQL which,
also, was not made clear by either party until
recently.

For me, this is a tempest in a teapot, mostly due
to the "silence" of NuSphere on the mechanism of
complying with the GPL and the details of NuSphere's
position on the domain issue.  In summary, with
20-20 hindsight, NuSphere has probably handled its
PR badly, and now they are suffering for it.

_jef
--
Justin Farnsworth
Eye Integrated Communications