At 11:09 AM -0700 7/15/01, Michael Collins wrote:

>>The clients won't use the option file in the data directory.  They will
>>only use the shared option file /etc/my.cnf, and the .my.cnf in your home
>>directory.  You might be better off creating aliases that specify the
>>options on the command line.
>

>Thank you Paul with your help so far.
>So what I am left with is that I will need to create a startup file
>to map the command you type in to the actual command with the
>-socket specified?

Hey, maybe I answered part of my own question (thanks to the book
"Essential System Administration from O'Reilly). There is a file on
Mac OS X at:
/usr/share/init/tcsh/rc that starts with the following:

##
# TCSH Expanded C-Shell INITIALIZATION FILE
#
# Wilfredo Sanchez Jr. | [EMAIL PROTECTED]
# July 09, 1992
#
# MIT Project Athena
#
# ORIGINAL SOURCES: /usr/athena/lib/init/cshrc (ATHENA REL 7.3P)
##

Adding the following and restarting the telnet session seems to work:

alias specialmysqldump
/Applications/Special/SpecialMySQL/bin/mysqldump
--socket=/tmp/SpecialMySQL.sock
alias specialmysqladmin
/Applications/Special/SpecialMySQL/bin/mysqladmin
--socket=/tmp/SpecialMySQL.sock
alias specialmysql /Applications/Special/SpecialMySQL/bin/mysql
--socket=/tmp/SpecialMySQL.sock

I now get the list of databases for the Special installation when
using specialmysql as a command.

And if I use with parameters or redirect to a file it also works:

specialmysqldump --opt special_site_1 > /temp.mysql

And this actually added a database called special:

root% specialmysqladmin create special

Hurray!

--
Michael