----- Original Message -----
From: "Oliver Hohlfeld" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, July 18, 2001 8:13 AM
Subject: Converting ACCESS or EXCEL Data to MySQL

> I'm currently working on a bigger Project.

Uh oh, wasn't that the plot to "The Spanish Prisoner" ?? ;-)

> I'm currently thinking about the easiest way to get data from
> this database and put it online. I could start to develop on
> a little software tool which publicates the data but isn't there
> a easier way ?

How do you want to put this data on the web? Do you want it to be dynamic or
just a static HTML page? It sounds like you're working in a Microsoft shop,
so for dynamic pages, have you considered ASP? The advantage to using ASP,
in your scenario, is that you would only write the ASP code once, the web
page and the HTML for it would be dynamically generated. For creating HTML
pages, you can use everything from the wizards within the Office products to
a custom program in VB (or another language of choice).

> I'm rather new to MySQL and general SQL Technologies, so maybe
> I overlocked something. Yes, I already looked in the user manual
> at www.mysql.com and I read something about ODBC Support, but does
> that also work if the Database Server is lockated somewhere in the
> Internet ?

ODBC really works with anything, that's the whole point of using it. If you
want to connect  your current SQL Server to a web page, you would create an
ODBC connection on the web server (with the SQL Sever IP address & user
info). From there, within your ASP code, you could reference the ODBC
connection, which will pass the information back & forth between the web
page and the database.

Notice that I haven't really mentioned MySQL at all. As much as I like
MySQL, if you already have a SQL Server that can connect to the Internet, I
don't understand the need to use MySQL in this scenario ??? Obviously, if
this is a web page that will see a lot of traffic, or the SQL Server
database is no good or too big, then of course you can still use MySQL in
the same manner mentioned above. Just remember, that you will have to use a
new ODBC driver, MyODBC.

Good Luck,

Dennis
Beridney Computer Services