>         i don't understand what does connecting from different host mean?

Where do you have this problem?

> 1.      does it mean connecting from a different pc to the pc hosting the mysql
> server through telnet?

Why would you like to do that? looks like a masochistic
approach to me, under normal circumstances.

> 2.      connecting from the same pc hosting the mysql server and specifying the
> host when connecting?

Which would be localhost then, right?

> 3.      running mysql client on a local computer and connecting to the pc hosting
> the mysql server. how do you connect in this    way then?

Well, i do it through the browser as I use mysql on my server. in
this approach, the connection is done through a cgi program
running on the server, in my case php. in other words, I use php
functions to connect to mysql, which means that the program
connects to localhost.

If I would like to connect, say, from your program on one machine
to a database on another machine, then you will have to address
that machine directly, for example with the IP number of that
machine. You will have to insert a new user in the mysql
database.

Example: I manage my server databases through phpMyAdmin. This is
a server based program, so it connects like all other server
stuff through localhost.  No problem.

Recently, I downloaded mysqlfront (http://www.mysqlfront.de/). I
liked that program very much, but as it runs as a standalone
program on my client machine, it can connect to the database on
that machine as localhost, but not to the web server. In order to
do that, I would have to set up a new user and such.

Another example.  In addition to my own project, I have several
customer projects.  When I wanted to integrate data from a
customer into my own project, I couldn't connect to the database
of the customer directly because the ISP wouldn't allow it.

When we moved to our own dedicated server, I moved the site of
this customer to this machine, too. As I was master of this
machine now, I could have realized my original plan to tap into
the live data of this customer. In this case, both databases
would reside on localhost.

But it turned out that we had some problems. Now we moved our
project to a separate dedicated server. As I am master of both
machines, I will have to introduce the machine address of our
project into the user table of the machine with the customer's
data to realize my original plan.

--
Herzlich
Werner Stuerenburg

ISIS Verlag, Teut 3, D-32683 Barntrup-Alverdissen
Tel 0(049) 5224-997 407 · Fax 0(049) 5224-997 409
http://pferdezeitung.de