Hi,

I have configured MySQL with charset latin2 on a Linux box. I made a big
table with a mediumtext filed and a search engine using MySQL
match-against. On the Linux box everything looked fine. Now we replaced
our server to FreeBSD. I compiled the same source with the same
configuration settings. Now I have several problems with special
iso-latin2 characters:
- For example when I search for a string which contains a character
which has the code of F5 (t+F5+zsde), it selects words which is the same
but contains the character with code F4 (t+F4+zsde). The difference is
that the character F4 is an element of the standard character set also.
They look familiar and being afraid of codepage problems some sites use
F4 instead of the official F5. A nice behaviour from MySQL that it also
select the words with F6 (t+F6+zsde). F5 and F6 completely different
letters, although they pronounced nearly the same and the look of letter
itself is similar. Again, F6 is the member of the standard codepage.
- Another example if I search for a word starts with F5 (F5+rmester), I
get no results from MySQL. If I use F6 (F6+rmester) which is
grammaticaly completely incorrect, I get the result. This is funny
because the result contains F5 (F5+rmester)!
(F5 is o with two long diacritics, F4 is o with one small v turned
upsidedown on the top of it, F6 is o with two dots on it. F5 & F6 are
the official characters, but they are different.)

I would really apreciate if someone could enlighten me... Where is the
problem? Is there a problem wih MySQL? Or the problem is with the
localisation function of FreeBSD? Both the previous Linux server and the
current BSD has setlocale installed and has the iso-8859.2 locale.
I am sorry, but my English might be to week to explain the situation
correctly.

Regards,

Peter