Van wrote:
[== snip, snip ==]
> Anyone else see the irony?  Small wonder Open Source hasn't been lucrative.
> We're solving all the problems of the money makers at our own expense.  Time we
> should look at how open we want our own model to be to clients who choose models
> of lesser openness.  I'd consider slamming the door shut on those who are truly
> infected.
----------------------

You are not alone here.  I find it terribly interesting in a historical
sense
that the recent storms of virii/wormae caused by and propagated by
Microsoft
products have caused the appearance in several of the news sites as well
as in the paper rags, to call for the consideration of banning all
Microsoft
products from the Internet.  Many of these articles have been written by
journalists of reputed impartiality.  Running this idea up the flagpole
has a significance that each of us may judge differently.

Wild idea?  Yes, and certainly illegal.  But in any considered
judgement, the
situation is only going to get worse, and the perception of the total
cost of ownership of Windows is chaging.  Businesses are starting to
"try" to factor in the cost of, say, the Love Bug virus, estimated to
have cost just American Business billions.  At some point, Microsoft
will have to clean up its act, or slowly sink into obscurity.

Although this is/may be off topic, this list is certainly suffering
because of Redmond and its indifference to security and arrogance
toward the idea that this even represents a "problem".  Things are
still cool in Redmond...

_jef

[ database, sql]
--