i've tried simply re-creating the index as you suggested ... no luck.

here's a brief summary of my situation: i developed an application on one
server, after it was developed and ready to go live we started to move it
to another server.  after moving it i noticed my search function wasn't
working... i fiddled around with the database quite a bit, with no
luck.  then i realized that the search function wasn't working on the
development server either, and it had been working fine all along.  that's
what makes no sense to me at all. :(

output from myisamchk on the development server is as follows:
***
Checking MyISAM file: inventory
Data records:       2   Deleted blocks:       5
myisamchk: warning: 1 clients is using or hasn't closed the table properly
- check file-size
- check key delete-chain
- check record delete-chain
- check index reference
- check data record references index: 1
- check data record references index: 2
- check data record references index: 3
- check data record references index: 4
- check data record references index: 5
- check data record references index: 6
- check data record references index: 7
- check data record references index: 8
- check data record references index: 9
- check data record references index: 10
- check data record references index: 11
- check data record references index: 12
- check record links
MyISAM-table 'inventory' is usable but should be fixed
***

i'm not real familiar with myisamchk so i'm not sure exactly what i need
to do to repair this table, since it said it should be fixed.

i also still have no clue why this search suddenly stopped working. =/

frustrated,
~shawn