--
I have searched through all of the MySQL documentation I can get my
hands on, but still have no explanation for the following "wild-card
search" problem.

I enter the following query:

SELECT name,keywords,description from database_t where 1 and name
like "p%" LIMIT 0, 30;
-- or --
SELECT name,keywords,description from database_t where name like "p%"
LIMIT 0, 30;

This should return all records where name starts with the letter P.
It only returns the first record (since the first record starts with P).
When I use any other letter or number no records are returned.

The query is being performed on a 7000+ record database and should
pull up several hundred records starting with the letter P.

I am running MySQL 3.23.40 on BSD UNIX (MAC OSX), but had the
identical problem with 3.23.28, 3.23.36 and 3.23.38.

Thanks in advance,
Brett