Unfortunately, the problem is not in any one script.  It is a
universally repeatable error and happens even when using MySQL in the
command line.

I tried the suggested SQL query below, but it returned the same
result as before.  (Only the first record.)
SELECT name,keywords,description from database_t where Left(name, 1) ='p'
LIMIT 0, 30;

Other wildcard searches function perfectly - i.e., a search for '%p%'
yields every record containing the letter P.

Can anyone think of a way in which this problem might be
data-related?  I have thought it over and checked the data
thoroughly, but perhaps there is something I am missing.

Thanks,
Brett