Venu (and others who may have suggestions)

No: the server is up and running.

Plus, I don't think I was clear enough on the kind of errors I get. Let me
try another way...

When I try to get a connection to a local, non-running, mySQL server, I get
a java.net.ConnectException. That I understand: it corresponds to the case
your mentionning in your response.

But here is the problem. When trying to get a connection to a remote, up and
running, mySQL server, I get a java.security.AccessControlException.
Obviously, this is not the same error as above. My problem is that: the
address is OK, the port is OK, the name of the database is OK, the userID is
OK, the password is OK, etc - and when I try to access to the database using
MySQL binaries, it all work OK. The odd thing is that I got exactly the same
message, even when I don't provide a userID or a password.

I'm still confused... and waiting for additional suggestions.

Alexandre