From: Mark Tully <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: mySQLd won't die under Darwin (Mac OS X 10.0.4)

        Downloaded source archive, compiled as of instructions.
        The mySQLd server is started as root and it switches down to the
        mysql user. It can be started using the "mysql.server start" command
        or by "safe_mysqld --user=mysql &" and it appears to work fine.
        However it just won't die!
        kill doesn't work on either the mysql process or the script, the
        "mysqladmin -u root shutdown" command similarly fails and the
        "mysql.server stop" command times out. The only way I can stop it
        is by manually killing off the script and then the server with
        "kill -KILL".
        The pid is recorded correctly and retrieved correctly by the
        mysql.server stop command, but kill is just completely ineffectual.
>How-To-Repeat:
        sudo mysql.server start
        sudo mysql.server stop
        Killing mysqld with pid 386
        Wait for mysqld to exit\c
        .\c
        .\c
        .\c
        .
        .
        .
         gave up waiting!
>Fix:
        sudo kill -KILL <pid of script>
        sudo kill -KILL <pid of daemon>

>Submitter-Id:
>Originator: Mark Tully
>Category:    mysql
>Class:        sw-bug
>Release:    mysql-3.23.40 (Source distribution)
>Server: ../client/mysqladmin  Ver 8.21 Distrib 3.23.40, for apple-darwin1.3.7
on powerpc
Copyright (C) 2000 MySQL AB & MySQL Finland AB & TCX DataKonsult AB
This software comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY. This is free software,
and you are welcome to modify and redistribute it under the GPL license

Server version        3.23.40
Protocol version    10
Connection        Localhost via UNIX socket
UNIX socket        /tmp/mysql.sock
Uptime:            43 min 30 sec

Threads: 1  Questions: 7  Slow queries: 0  Opens: 5  Flush tables: 1  Open
tables: 0 Queries per second avg: 0.003
>Environment:
    <machine, os, target, libraries (multiple lines)>
System: Darwin localhost 1.3.7 Darwin Kernel Version 1.3.7: Sat Jun  9
11:12:48 PDT 2001; root:xnu/xnu-124.13.obj~1/RELEASE_PPC  Power Macintosh
powerpc

Some paths:  /usr/bin/perl /usr/bin/make /usr/bin/cc

Compilation info: CC='cc'  CFLAGS=''  CXX='c++'  CXXFLAGS=''  LDFLAGS=''
LIBC:

lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  15 Feb 16 21:39 /usr/lib/libc.dylib ->
libSystem.dylib
Configure command: ./configure  --prefix=/usr/local/mysql