I have a mysql server 3.23.34a running on my valinux 700Mhz PIII with 1GB
Ram.

I have found  that after running for a while mysqld starts to increase the
number of threads running.
For example today I had 20 threads running but only 6 processes in my
"mysqladmin processlist".  Each of the threads takes up a large amount of
memory and eventually drains my machine and things break.  A simple stop and
start of the mysql server fixes this but I was wondering if any one knows
why this might happen.

Also I know that sometimes I will receive a "Broken Pipe" error in my
applications which are running on the same machine. I dont understand why I
receive this error either but maybe it has to do with the same thing.

Michael Blood