On Wednesday 01 August 2001 10:13, Bernard Bross wrote:
> Hello
>
> I am trying to install the lastest version of mysql on Linux (Suse, uname -r
> = 2.2.14), without success.
> I have downloaded both the 3.23.38 and 3.23.40 binary tar balls, they crash
> the same way (I have tried on several machines with the same configuration,
> and got the same result):
> ./scripts/mysql_install_db
> Installing all prepared tables
> ./scripts/mysql_install_db: line 1:  2821 Segmentation fault
> ./bin/mysqld --bootstrap --skip-grant-tables --basedir=. --datadir=./data
> --skip-innodb --skip-gemini --skip-bdb
> Installation of grant tables failed!
>
> A 3.22 version of mysql runs fine on these machines. Also, I tried to copy
> the whole data directory from my 3.22 version to the new 3.23, and I have
> been able to launch safe_mysqld, but it crashed a bit later with
> segmentation fault.
> I have noticed several people having the same kind of problem (for example:
> http://lists.mysql.com/cgi-ez/ezmlm-cgi?1:mss:67632) but could not get any
> solution.

This is a known problem. Solution is to upgrade the kernel to the one from a
later SuSE distribution, or just use a virgin kernel from www.kernel.org.

As you may already know, many distributions applies their own set of patches
( aka hacks) to the kernel that is release by Linus. So did SuSE with 2.2.14,
and they decided that it would be a good idea to send SIGSEGV to every
application that expands the stack in a way that makes it approach withing
512K of an already mapped page. Then they realized it was not such a good
idea, and fixed it in later releases.

--
MySQL Development Team
For technical support contracts, visit https://order.mysql.com/