It might depend on the other columns in your table definition.  Have you
looked at the Silent Column Specification Changes?

http://www.mysql.com/doc/S/i/Silent_column_changes.html

If you have ANY varchar() columns, all char columns greater than three
characters are changed to varchar().  Perhaps the 'little play table'
doesn't have any other varchars...