We are looking for a solution to backing up a remote database, without using
mysqldump, and replication seemed to offer the solution required.
I set up the master/slave configurations on both the master and the slave
exactly the way it was shown in the MySQL documentation (4.10.3 How To Set
Up Replication),
With some additional options as shown:

MASTER my.cnf
[mysqld]
log-bin
binlog-do-db=masterslave
server-id=1

SLAVE my.cnf
[mysqld]
master-host=172.16.0.100
master-user=rep1
master-password='yesmaster'
master-port=3306
server-id=2
replicate-do-db=masterslave

I checked the slave status thinking it was telling me everything was fine

mysql> show slave status;
| Master_Host  | Master_User | Master_Port | Connect_retry | Log_File | Pos
| Slave_Running | Replicate_do_db | Replicate_ignore_db |
| 172.16.0.100 | rep1            | 3306            | 60                  |
| 4    | Yes                 | masterslave         |

I made some updates on the master, a couple of inserts and deletes. Not a
thing happened to the slave after a few minutes.
I checked the error log to see if anything was wrong and this was written a
few times (assuming each new attempt at a connection)

010809 13:16:51  Slave thread: error connecting to master:Access denied for
user: '[EMAIL PROTECTED]' (Using password: YES)(0), retry in 60 sec

I re-input my GRANT several times (checking/retyping the password each
time), then connected remotely with the mysql -h option (not a problem)

Has anyone else encountered this problem, and/or does anyone have a
solution..

Thank you
Luc Foisy

Technical Magic
1 Stafford Road, Suite 325, Nepean, Ontario, K2H 1B9
Phone: (613) 829-7117 Fax: (613) 596-5096
E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

<<<<< Fulfilling the Promise of Technology >>>>>