Hi,

Friday, August 10, 2001, 8:05:41 PM, David Harrison <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
DH> You can't use inetd, but if you have a machine with System V type run
DH> levels, the file support-files/mysql.server can be placed in
DH> /etc/rc.d/init.d or whatever your flavor of UNIX uses, with appropriate
DH> links to that file from the appropriate run level directories.
DH> If you are running the daemon as somebody other than root, be sure to
DH> install a configuration file my.cnf somewhere appropriate with the line:
DH> user = some_login
DH> in the [msqld] section.  You will, of course, substitute for
DH> "some_login".
DH> Without System V type run levels, you will need to edit some file such
DH> as /etc/rc.local to start the daemon.

I nave no problem in running mysqld.
But my Linux machine have only 32 Mb of RAM.
I just like to make mysqld load *on demand*.
I already configured Apache to run via inetd
and plan to do that to any service I'll decide to enable
(telnet/ftp/...)

Tried that with mysqld. I didn't figure out what is the problem.
Should be possible since mysqld works like other inetd daemons:
binds to port and listens for connections. Does anybody tried that
too? Drop me a line.

Well, and I wonder why there are three mysqld processes in top display
even when there is no connections at all. Is this normal?

Please CC me. I'm not on the list.
--
Best regards,
VDA                            mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]