At 16:41 Uhr -0400 14.8.2001, Hans Zaunere wrote:
>sort of thing.  Would it be better to just switch to TCP/IP sockets?
>
>  > > my $dbh = connect("DBI:mysql:database:localhost", "user", "password");

Well it seems like you ARE using INET TCP/IP sockets, since there is
'localhost' there (which goes over the loopback device). Not sure
however if this syntax for specifying the host is correct, it's not
mentioned this way in man DBD::mysql.

And if you were running out of INET sockets so you couldn't connect
with ssh anymore, it MUST have used INET sockets, doesn't it?...

So try to strip this :localhost off.

You could also use some persistent connection mechanism so that the
script doesn't reconnect on each request.

chj