Ryan Shrout ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) writes:

>   PID USER     PRI  NI  SIZE  RSS SHARE STAT %CPU %MEM   TIME COMMAND    =
>       =20
> 24424 mysql     18   0  6116 6116  2196 R    99.9  0.5   4:05 mysqld     =

> This is after a mysqld restart -- It restarted, but didn't work because =
> this single mysqld process wouldn't die.  I even tried to kill it "kill =
> 24424" and it still wouldn't go away -- not letting me restart mysqld.

IT often takes several seconds for a killed mysqld process to clean up and go away.  I
wouldn't recommend doing a "kill -9", though, except as a last resort.  The fact that
mysqld is still running means it's doing somethig, it hasn't died.

I used to have the same problem until I used hdparm to tune my drives.  Surprisingly,
it made a *lot* of difference - I was surprised at how much it made a difference in
how fast mysql ran.
--
Ed Carp, N7EKG          [EMAIL PROTECTED]           214/986-5870 cell phone
http://www.pobox.com/~erc

I sometimes wonder if the American people deserve to be free - they seem
so unwilling to fight to preserve the few freedoms they have left.