Hi,

Have you tried to change your browser's encoding to Big5 in order to view
Chinese characters?

Have you tried to use mysql client to select those multi-byte characters?
Have you seen they are OK?

If you still cannot view strings properly, and you use Java to implement
your system,

try to following code.
==============

ResultSet rset = YOUR_STATEMNT.executeQuery();

while (rset.next())
{
    int ch;
    StringBuffer answerStrBuf = new StringBuffer();

    InputStreamReader isr = new InputStreamReader(rset.getBinaryStream
("MULTI-BYTE-FIELD"), "ISO-8859-1");
    Reader in = new BufferedReader (isr);

    while ((ch = in.read()) > -1) {
     answerStrBuf.append((char) ch);
    }
    in.close();
    out.print(answerStrBuf); // echo your multi byte data.
}

My settings are
Windows 2000 Advanced Server (Traditional Chinese version)
MySQL 3.23.38-max-nt with charset=latin1
        multi-byte fields using varchar and varchar binary to store
multi-byted data.
JRun 3.1 Enterprise Server (Developer License).

Hope this help.