Chris Boget wrote:
>MySQL - as I said at our meeting, we would not be comfortable with this
>as an enterprise strength solution. MySQL is unsupported freeware
No it isn't, both MySQL AB (and NuSphere?) provide "commercial-grade"
support. Given that the top level of MySQL AB support involves direct
contact
to the developers, I would argue that this is a level above that available
for
Oracle or DB2.

Certainly the level of free support offered through this mailing list is
exemplary, [  :-)  ],
and my customer will be buying in annual support from MySQL AB before their
system goes
live.

> and lacks enterprise management functionality.
Also incorrect, there are a number of free admin clients available or even
"roll your own" since the API is well defined.

>It has a small limited feature set compared to ORACLE, DB/2
It is true that is has a smaller level of functionality when compared to
Oracle and DB/2, but it would appear
to me that some of the more glaring omissions from the standards are being
addressed. Further, the question
must be asked "does the 'missing' functionality cause any difficulties?"
For me, with the exception of subselects, the
answer is "no".

>and is lacking the functionality to support data replication and has
little capability for generating management info.
Utter rubbish! MySQL doesn't support data synchronisation, but most
defintely supports master/slave replication, what
some refer to as 'hot-sparing' and in fact I'm using this capability in the
'solution' that I'm about to deliver.

>There are question marks around the scalability of the product, I'm not
sure of the locking algorithms used (whether row level or record level) -
>the fact that it is not generally used in multi-user solutions is a good
enough indication that this is not accepted database technology for
>industrial-strength multi-user systems.
This is M$-like FUD. Locking mechanisms depends on the table types chosen.
I hardly think that Yahoo, Slashdot, Freshmeat et al would be
using MySQL if they weren't convinced of it's utility and stability.

>The fact that it is unsupported freeware would mean that an end user would
>potentially be "held to ransom" by a DBA with specific knowledge.
As mentioned before it isn't unsupported or freeware.The specific knowledge
concern is is true of any DB system, such as Oracle, DB2, SQL Server.

>The mySQL security model is also not sufficiently developed for any system
that
>involves money.
This would need explanation as it seems to me that there is little or no
difference between the user
security in MySQL and that in the other DB systems mentioned.

Before my current project I hadn't come across MySQL, (being a die-hard
Oracle DBA), and what we needed was a SQL-drivable DB with a well defined C
API, small resource requirements and sustainable on-going costs to run on a
Linux platform. We could have gone DB2, Oracle or PostgreSQL, but
eliminated the first two due to their resource requirements, and further
discounted PostgreSQL due to the beta nature of its replication. I haven't
had cause to reconsider this decision, as MySQL has proven to be easy to
install/configure, resource-miserly,  and fast.

Like I said I'm fairly new to MySQL so maybe some of what I've written may
not be 100% the gospel, as it's based on my knowledge. I would strongly
recommend that your colleague take a few minutes and has a look at the
on-line copy of the MySQL documentation to clear up some of their
misconceptions.

Regards

Robert Cross.
Disclaimer: Writing for myself, not my employers.

This message is confidential.  It may also be privileged or
protected by other legal rules.  It does not constitute an
offer or acceptance of an offer, nor shall it form any part
of a legally binding contract.  If you have received this
communication in error, please let us know by reply then
destroy it.  You should not use, print, copy the message or
disclose its contents to anyone.

E-mail is subject to possible data corruption, is not
secure, and its content does not necessarily represent the
opinion of this Company.  No representation or warranty is
made as to the accuracy or completeness of the information
and no liability can be accepted for any loss arising from
its use.

This e-mail and any attachments are not guaranteed to be
free from so-called computer viruses and it is recommended
that you check for such viruses before down-loading it to
your computer equipment.  This Company has no control over
other websites to which there may be hypertext links and no
liability can be accepted in relation to those sites.

Scottish & Newcastle plc
Registered in Scotland, Registered Number 16288
Registered Office: 33, Ellersly Road, Edinburgh, EH12 6HX