Daniel Woods noted this error:

'mysite@localhost'
>     (Using password: NO) in
/home/mysite/public_html/phpMyAdmin/lib.inc.php3 on line 170
> ----------------
>
> I have added users apache and mysite to /etc/group for group mysql,
restarted
> Apache and mysql.  Why is saying 'mysite@localhost' when the script is set
> use mysql user 'dbuser' with valid password.  Logging in as 'mysite', and
> trying 'mysql -u dbuser -p mysql' works.
> From another site at work, 'mysql -u dbuser -h mysite.ca -p mysql' works.

It sounds like MySQL is denying access to user mysite. The OS isn't causing
you problems; only MySQL is.

As I understand your description, the user that is running the MySQL daemon
is 'mysite'. You are trying to log in as 'dbuser', but for some reason MySQL
is not getting that information and defaulting to the user that runs the
daemon, mysite, with no password. However, my guess is that 'mysite' is not
a granted privileges in MySQL so MySQL is denying access.

Have you tried 'mysql -u mysite'? If you cannot get in, then part of the
problem is not having 'mysite' set up with MySQL. Here is the page from the
documentation that should help with setting up user 'mysite':

http://www.mysql.com/documentation/mysql/bychapter/manual_MySQL_Database_Adm
inistration.html#User_Account_Management

You have a second problem: why isn't phpMyAdmin using 'dbuser' and 'mysql'?
I have no experience with php so I'm sorry I can't help you there.

Best of luck,

Kurt Hansen
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.charityweb.net