Kurt,

> > ----------------
> >     Warning: MySQL Connection Failed: Access denied for user:
> 'mysite@localhost'
> >     (Using password: NO) in
> /home/mysite/public_html/phpMyAdmin/lib.inc.php3 on line 170
> > ----------------
> >
> > I have added users apache and mysite to /etc/group for group mysql, restarted
> > Apache and mysql.  Why is saying 'mysite@localhost' when the script is set to
> > use mysql user 'dbuser' with valid password.  Logging in as 'mysite', and
> > trying 'mysql -u dbuser -p mysql' works.
> > From another site at work, 'mysql -u dbuser -h mysite.ca -p mysql' works.
>
> It sounds like MySQL is denying access to user mysite. The OS isn't causing
> you problems; only MySQL is.

Apache server is running as apache, however my host mysite.ca runs
su-exec'ed as user/group mysite/mysite. And virtual host hersite.ca runs as
regular hersite/apache. Either way, it fails.  The mysqld is as user 'mysql:

root   17657     1  1 14:45 pts/1  00:00:00 /bin/sh /usr/bin/safe_mysqld
--datadir=/var/lib/mysql/data --pid-file=/var/lib/mysql/data/www.mysite.ca.
mysql  17682 17657  3 14:45 pts/1  00:00:00 /usr/sbin/mysqld --basedir=/
--datadir=/var/lib/mysql/data --user=mysql --pid-file=/var/lib/mysql/data/www.mysite.ca

> As I understand your description, the user that is running the MySQL daemon
> is 'mysite'. You are trying to log in as 'dbuser', but for some reason MySQL
> is not getting that information and defaulting to the user that runs the
> daemon, mysite, with no password. However, my guess is that 'mysite' is not
> a granted privileges in MySQL so MySQL is denying access.

I am trying to use 'dbuser' and valid password (works on command line),
however it seems that MySQL returns an error for the UNIX user 'mysite'.
I did add 'mysite' to mysql.user table and it works from command line,
however it still won't work.

> Have you tried 'mysql -u mysite'? If you cannot get in, then part of the
> problem is not having 'mysite' set up with MySQL. Here is the page from the
> documentation that should help with setting up user 'mysite':

No problems from the command line.

> http://www.mysql.com/documentation/mysql/bychapter/manual_MySQL_Database_Adm
> inistration.html#User_Account_Management
>
> You have a second problem: why isn't phpMyAdmin using 'dbuser' and 'mysql'?
> I have no experience with php so I'm sorry I can't help you there.

I am starting over the permissions from scratch.... fingers crossed ;)

Thanks... Dan.