I am having the same kind of difficulty.  Slow returns on results.
It may be bad database architecture or implementation (perhaps both),
but I need to be able to pick out text fragments . . . like %value%.

I understand that indexes do not help with "LIKE %value%" queries, is
there anything else that I can do to speed up the return on results.

Thanks,
Brett