On Sun, 19 Aug 2001, Lars Bruun Hansen wrote:

> mysql> show tables from test;
> +----------------+
> | Tables_in_test |
> +----------------+
> | MyTable        |
> +----------------+
>
> mysql> alter table MyTable add (y char(1));
> mysql> show tables from test;
> +----------------+
> | Tables_in_test |
> +----------------+
> | mytable        |
>
> If this is not a bug how do I then get MySQL to be case-preserving for
> the table names?

I second that this should be fixed.

I had a similar problem once; I did an ALTER TABLE MODIFY COLUMN, which is
theoretically supposed to leave the column name unchanged (as opposed to
ALTER TABLE CHANGE COLUMN). However, I had typed the case of the column
differently, so it changed the case of the column.

This caused my perl scripts that access the database to break, since perl
is case sensitive for variable names.